Healing Touch is best described as an energy based approach to health and healing. Using gentle touch to help smooth and balance the body’s energy field, the practitioner’s hands are used to promote comfort, diminish pain, reduce anxiety, and stimulate the body’s unique self-healing process. A sense of overall wellbeing and feelings of deep peace and relaxation are common experiences when receiving Healing Touch.
Healing Touch is easily integrated with other traditional therapies and is used ‘in addition to’ rather than ‘instead of’ routine medical care. According to the National Institute of Health (NIH) and the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM), Healing Touch is officially classified as a ‘Biofield Therapy’.
Healing Touch is a multi-level nursing continuing education program in energy based medicine. The standardized curriculum is taught throughout the U.S. as well as internationally. Certification in Healing Touch is granted by an International Review Board and is based on completion of the following:
- 100+ hours of instructor-led coursework
- one-year minimum Mentorship with a Certified Healing Touch Practitioner (CHTP)
- documentation of 100 patient sessions using the nursing process
- in depth documented case study
- evidence of educational study of energy based medicine